Most of the time when a person thinks of adoption they think of the money. James and I both felt led to adopt from Ethiopia. It is expensive folks, but we did not want that to stand in our way. We are trusting God, planning well, and working hard to turn HIS adoption vision into reality.
I am not sure what part of the process is more painful all the paperwork or asking for help with funding our adoption. Last year, we opened a home equity line of credit to pay large expenses as they arose. It was a difficult decsicion for us, because neither of us like having any debt. Last year, we to had to pay 8,000 dollars toward our adoption. We paid some of the money ourselves (from savings), held a garage sale, and were blessed with many donations from friends and family. By the end of the year we had paid off our loan. YEA!
We just turned in our dossier and had to write another large check ($7,950). It is always scary to not be in control but I am not letting fear creep in on our adoption. We have a plan of attack but it will take work and support from others. The last thing we want is for people to think we are entitled to their money. We understand this is our calling to adopt. We welcome funds from people who feel God is calling them to give but we never want people to feel like we expect them to give to our adoption.
To raise extra money this year, I have been watching two sweet babies for the rest of the school year. We also are in the process of applying for grants. Yea, more paperwork! Another garage sale will be taking place this summer. We plan on having a dinner at our church to help raise funds as well.
Many people have asked how they can help here is what I have for you at this time:
1) Pray. We all know how powerful prayer is and right now we just ask that you lift our daughter and her birth parents up to God. We know there is a tremondous loss before their is a great gain for our family. No one knows the story except for God at this time.
2) Shop on Amazon via our website. Click on the our store link at the top of the page.
3) Sign up for a Pure Charity account and whenever you shop online you can donate to our adoption. This costs you nothing and we get a percentage of what you spend. Just click the link below, click on the signup link on the top right. If you make purchases online a percentage of your purchase goes into an account. You can direct the money from that account to our adoption. This takes 2 minutes to set up and is a huge blessing to us. https://www.purecharity.com/whatleys-adoption
4) Buy Coffee from our link on the side of our webpage. We get a big percentage back every time you make a purchase.
5) Donate items to our garage sale. We will collect items at any time.
6) Spread the word to your friends and family to see if they would be willing to help.
Thank you for your support! We are blessed to be on this journey with you.